Art is a way to relate the negative to the positive, to reflect and celebrate, and to envision a better world. Our creative hobbies are often the things that ground us, keep us sane, and connect us with like-minded folks and the Earth, especially in times of panic, hardship, and destruction.
We encourage all Wilmington Climate Strikers to creatively express themselves during strike week and submit a poem or short narrative inspired by, or related to, the climate crisis to our A Word to Mother Earth Writing Contest. There is no submission fee, and one writer will win the cash prize graciously donated by UNCW’s Department of Creative Writing.
The winner of our A Word to Mother Earth Writing Contest will be announced on Friday, September 27th, during our open mic celebration (6-9 PM at Iron Clad Brewery), where we will present them with their prize and hear the piece that struck our hearts so deeply.
Submissions open Friday, September 20th at 9 AM and close Wednesday, September 25th at 5 PM.
*We will not accept any submissions submitted earlier than 9 AM on 9/20 or later than 5 PM on 9/25*
- Email your entry to email@example.com
- Subject line: “A Word to Mother Earth [Poetry or Prose] Submission”
- Include your full name and the Wilmington Climate Strike event(s) you have attended or plan to attend
- Poetry submissions must be no longer than 2 pages
- Prose submissions must be no longer than 5 pages, double-spaced
- Please submit your entry as a PDF or Word Document
- Please format your work in 12 pt., Times New Roman, and include page numbers in the header of your document
- Do not include your name within your submission document